Visual Arts Major
NME Res. 713-31 - January 2013 - 7 years
Institute of Fine Arts, Carrera 16 No. 20
Phone Number: 57-6-7444307 - 7359300 Ext. 1070
Business Hours: Monday to Friday: 8:00am to 12:00m - 2:00pm to 6:00pm
Since the moment the Institute of Fine Arts was created in 1993, the plan was to implement higher education processes. The proposal was at first spearheaded by artist Gustavo Matiz and Carlos Alberto Villegas. Recently, a curriculum has been built with notable help of the professorate and the current director. In order to address the region's needs for finding and creating symbolic references, the curricular design was grounded on three basic components: Context, environmentalist aesthetics, and the production of works within the context of new technologies. Having surpassed all initial expectations as far as community demand is concerned, the Visual Arts Major began its first academic activities during the first semester of 2014, thus becoming the first undergraduate art course in the history of the department.
Mission and Vision
Mission: The Visual Arts Major at the University of Quindío is a higher education course which addresses the need for social cohesion and identity as well as for symbolic constructs for the Quindío community, all through offering academic content grounded on environmentalist aesthetics, contextual art, and the usage of new technologies for artistic creation under the banner of high quality creation and research. This major forms professionals who have argumentative skills, morally and intellectually honest, highly aware of social problems and with the drive to perform social transformations, thus contributing to the advancement of the region.
Vision: The Visual Arts Major at the University of Quindío will be recognized as a leader amongst high quality higher education and extension programs. It will generate humanistic education alternatives in the fields of aesthetics, creativity and professional artistic performance. It will conduct research into idiosincratic creative spaces, and it will be the manager of its own creations and other cultural processes. It will guide, it will be an art theorist. It will lead environmentalistic and artistic processes in such a way that it will influence the processes of identity construction and cultural development in the Quindío and Northern Valley regions. It is based on a holistic and systematic vision of knowledge.
Visual Arts Teacher
Number of Academic Credits
Professional and Occupational Profile
The Visual Arts Major seeks to educate autonomous, ethical, critical, dynamic, flexible professionals who are also comfortable with change and innovation, and who are prepared to:
- Creating their own designs and bi-dimensional, three-dimensional or virtual works in contemporary contexts interpretation processes, with a highly developed aesthetical and conceptual sense.
- Applying technologies and techniques that guarantee high quality production levels in bi-dimensional, three-dimensional or virtual artistic productions.
- Incorporating social and conceptual processes within their artistic production.
- Representing local culture through their own productions in both national and international events.
- Leading and overseeing cultural processes that recognize and apply the relationship between what is local and what is global.
- Promoting actions related to visual arts which contribute to improving the region's social and cultural aspects.
- Acting as a manager for the promotion of artistic expressions and the exposure and conservation of their cultural heritage.
- participating in multi-area cultural projects in public spaces.
- Conducting research into the cultural processes which play a role in new technological mediations in order to propose, approach, conceptualize and contextualize artistic and cultural expressions.
- Designing, creating and evaluating visual arts research from a social standpoint.
- Participating in multi-area research projects of a cultural nature.
- Educating through the evaluation of cultural products and events related to visual arts.
- Leading the way in matters of visual arts artistic and cultural education at different levels.
- Promoting the practice of art in new generations within a pacific coexistance framework.
- Provides aesthetic solutions to problems related to the space, form, and relationships that they have with the subject through the creation of their own designs and bi-dimensional, three-dimensional or virtual images for either public or private spaces, by way of applying both traditional and contemporary technologies.
Art Critic and Theorist
- Writing for newspapers and specialized magazines from the perspective of simultaneity with teaching and evaluating, hosts art exhibits, writes monographs and books, gives lectures and workshops, works at institutions, museums, and different art exhibits.
The University of Quindío Visual Arts professional will be able to:
- Direct, coordinate, give advise and perform curatorship at museums, galleries and exhibition rooms.
- Direct, coordinate and give advice regarding artistic processes at cultural centers at a regional and national level.
- Direct and oversee artistic and cultural processes.
- Do art critiquing and paerticipating in the designing and making of specialized publications.
- Creating personal, communal or collective artistic projects.