Computer Science and Systems Engineering
CONTACT COMPUTER SCIENCE AND SYSTEMS ENGINEERING MAJOR
The iniciative of implementing the Computer Science and Systems Engineering arose from the need of the Quindío population for this kind of academic training.
1996: The Computer Science and Systems Engineering at the University of Quindío officially begins operations after a transfer contract is signed by the University of Quindío and the University of Cauca on July 30, after being approved by National University Fund Administrative Committee, as per Agreement No. 83, 1968.
1997: The major begins classes during the year's fisrt academic period. Once the it was firmly established in its daytime schedule, a high demand for the major by working adults gives way to requesting the opening of a nightime schedule.
2003: The project was approved by ICFES as per Directive 72553, February 7th.
2004: The nightime schedule version of the major begins classes during the second academic semester. The Comnputer Science and Systems Engineering has had 3 curricula during its years of academic life:
- Plan 43.
- Plan 203
- Plan 63, daytime schedule.
- Plan 167, nightime schedule.
The Computer Science and Systems Engineering Major educates upstanding professionals, with a sound scientific, technological and humanistic training, capable of rising up to the challenges and duties of society through permanent interaction with their work team; able to learn and to pursue the goal of rising society's quality of life and helping it achieve sutainable development.
In the year 2015, the Computer Science and Systems Engineering Major will be recognized nationally for its high academic quality, the excelence of its curriculum and its research and social projects, and its profound impact on the local, regional and national sustainable development projects as per their duty to society.
Computational and Systems Engineer
Professional and Occupational Profile
The profile of the University of Quindío professional computational and systems engineer belongs to a professional with a capacity to formulate, analyze, design and solve problems on an individual or a collective basis, while having a clear grasp of the needs of any given environment and proposing solutions aimed at social benefit by way of applying computational and basic sciences.
Having said that, it is necessary to consider such important aspects as the far-reaching spread of technological education, the incursion of the private sector and the development of skills in increasingly greater demand. Said skills are closely related to the capacity of making autonomous decisions, being able to think strategically, planing and responding creatively to changing demands; the capacity to observe, interpret and react to unforeseen situations, the ability to recognize, define and solve problems; being able to formulate alternatives, equations, solutions and evaluating results; the capacity to transform ideas into practical applications, being aware of quality and performance criteria, and possessing self-discipline in the work place.
The University of Quindío Computer Science and Systems Engineering graduate will be elegible to practice their profession in the banking, commercial, financial, industrial, research and educational sectors. They will be able to work as the follwing:
- Systems analyst: Able to specify IT needs and give solutions.
- Researcher-Teacher: Having an academic and scientific vocation, interested in developing systems and IT.
- Systems Projects Director: Able to lead either a development or a research group, with a capacity to identify application areas for systems and computer technologies.
- IT Manager: Able to manage IT for organizations.
- Software Developer: Able to participate in the construction of information systems by taking up the role of software components developer. Also able to undertake testing and application duties.
- Software Development Entrepreneur: Able to innovate, able to identify and solve specific social needs related to IT.
- Technical Support: Able to provide support for IT systems users within an organization and also provide solutions for them.
- Manager: Able to participate in the evaluation, acquisition and mangement of all the IT resources that provide supoort for organizations. Able to plan, evaluate and carry out projects in the IT field.